GNDR’s strategy 2016-2020: Stronger Together
Since its foundation in 2007, GNDR growing membership has undertaken a range of collaborative actions designed to influence policies and practices at international, national and local levels including policy monitoring (Views from the Frontline), policy advocacy (Reality Check), action-learning programmes (Action at the Frontline; Frontline, CBDRM) and awareness raising campaigns (365 Disasters campaign).
By sharing experiences and knowledge gained during these collaborative actions, GNDR has identified a series of key challenges still to be addressed:
- Achieving greater inclusion and engagement of citizens in governance processes to ensure that policies take into account local realities, such as complexity and fragility.
- Closing the implementation gap that exists between national policies – what is intended, and local practices – what actually happens.
- Increasing domestic accountability and political ownership for policy commitments.
- Developing coherence and mutuality across inter-related development policy frameworks.
- Strengthening multi-stakeholder collaboration and coordination mechanisms.
In response to the challenges presently faced and identified by its membership, the strategic objectives of GNDR are currently laid out in the document “Stronger Together: GNDR Strategy 2016-2020”.
Our strategy is based on three parallel, mutually reinforcing objectives:
Increase the impact of civil society in influencing policies and practices at international, national and local levels
This will be achieved by:
- Enhancing evidence-based policy advocacy at all levels.
- Strengthening public education campaigns and awareness raising at all levels of society.
- Strengthening monitoring of policy implementation
Enhance collaboration capabilities of civil society, and cooperation with other stakeholders
This will be achieved by:
- Strengthening GNDR Governance and Secretariat institutional and operational capacities at all levels.
- Institutional strengthening of existing civil society networks and facilitating formation of new networks at regional and national levels for enhanced collaboration.
- Enhancing the capabilities of GNDR membership for cooperation and partnership between members, and with other actors.
Strengthen capacities of GNDR members to develop and use new and enhanced knowledge
This will be achieved by:
- Generating knowledge through collaborative action-learning.
- Enhancing the development and management of new and existing knowledge, information and practices amongst members and other stakeholders.
The review process that has lead to the current strategy
After the SFDRR was presented and endorsed by governments in Sendai in March 2015, and while inmersed in the consultations and discussions around the post-2015 development policy frameworks, GNDR started in parallel in May 2015 an internal process of reflection to review its current strategy, with a view to develop a strategy for the next 5 years (2016-2020). Online consultations and a series of regional face-to-face workshops have been an essential part of this review process to
- develop an understanding of the external context of DRR and resilience in each region
- develop an understanding of the organisational and institutional roles relating to DRR and resilience, with a particular emphasis on the role of civil society
- consider the role of GNDR in each region and globally, making recommendations to feed into the strategy process
- consider the organisation, governance, communications and collaborations of GNDR and other networks and platforms at regional/national level, establishing an action plan where relevant.
- ensure the consultation process takes into account the wider differences in GNDR membership within and across the regions and provide a balanced representation in terms of size, geographical spread and goals of individual GNDR member organisations.
In addition to member consultations, the review process involved an external evaluation, the release of a Zero Draft to include the views of the Secretariat, and the establishment of a Strategy Sub-committee within the Global Board to oversee the whole process. The key steps of this process are outlined below, where you can find also interim and draft outocome documents, as well as links to the regional consultation events. The result of this process are the [DRAFT] GNDR Strategy 2016-2020 that you can download here:
GNDR External Evaluation full report
- FINAL REPORT [ENGLISH2.05 MB]
- GNDR Response to points for recommendation raised by external evaluators [ENGLISH239.65 KB]
Interim and draft outcome documents of the review process
Synthesis report on regional consultations
- Main report [ENGLISH]: Synthesis_report_on_GNDR_regional_consultations_on_strategy_July_2015_v3.docx249.39 KB
- Database [ENGLISH]: Regional_workshops_database.xlsx47.45 KB. Numbers refer to the numbers in the background reports below
- Background report Asia-Pacific: Asia_Pacific_Strategy_Consultation_Report.docx248.74 KB
- Background report Europe: EU_and_NA_workshop_report_penultimate_draft_17-07-15.docx7.43 MB
- Background report Central America & Caribbean: Central_America_Report300715_EN2.docx256.41 KB
- Background report North Africa West Asia: NAWA_final_report.docx42.27 KB
- Background report South America: South_America_Workshop_Summary_EN_numbered.doc48 KB
- Background report West Africa: Report_Senegal_consultation_EN.docx2.21 MB
- Background reports Southern Africa: GNDR_Southern_Africa_Regional_Workshop.docx123.4 KB
Links to regional consultation events
In these pages you will find more information about the purpose and agenda of each consultation and their key outcome documents, if available, as well as photos of the participants.
- Asia & Pacific
- Asia & Pacific online consultations
- Central America & the Caribbean
- Europe & North America
- Northern Africa & Western/Central Asia
- South America
- Southern & Eastern Africa
- West Africa
GNDR's previous strategy
Since its origins and until 2011, GNDR's focus could be summarised as getting established and amplifying the concerns of people most at risk from disasters. The historical achievements in this first phase of GNDR were:
- the pioneering of the groundbreaking and award-winning Views from the Frontline (VFL) programme;
- the generation of a focus on partnerships and collaborative working between global, regional, national and local governments, UN agencies, international financial institutions, civil society and affected communities;
- building a growing support base to increasingly become recognized as an essential actor to effect sustainable and long-term change.
The second strategic phase of GNDR (2012-2015) focused on growing the network in size, capabilities and, most importantly, impact. The strategy was formulated by the former GNDR Steering Group in the document GNDR: Forward Together – a network-wide global consultation programme that invited views and opinions from members on the network activity between 2012-2015. The development of Forward Together was fed by online consultations, a steering group strategy workshop in Delhi and regional workshops in Latin America, West Africa, Asia and Pacific, Southern and East Africa, Middle East, North Africa, Caucuses and Central Asia. You can download the documents of the previous strategy from the archive section below in this page.