Organised by GNDR and King's College London
Co-hosted by UNDRR
Date: 8 July 2020
Time: 12.00-13:30 (New York time / EDT)
Where: Online webinar
Setting the scene: Mr David Stevens, Head, UNDRR Bonn Office
- Ms Mami Mizutori, Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction
- Dr Thomas Helfen, Head of Division: Peace and Security, Disaster Risk Management; Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
- Ms Tosin Apiriola-Ajayi, Director of Women Environment and Youth Development Initiative, Nigeria
- Dr Mark Pelling, Professor of Geography at King’s College London
- Mr Bijay Kumar, Executive Director of GNDR
Moderator: Ms Valeria Drigo, Policy Lead at GNDR
The Covid-19 pandemic highlights the importance of local action. How can we bolster it in a coherent manner, to ensure global impact?
During this event we will discuss what hinders effective localisation of resilience and what actions can UN, governments and society take to support local action.
GNDR and partners have developed a set of recommendations for how local actors can lead risk-informed development. This event will expand on this work and engage participants in an online discussion that will inform the development of concrete policy recommendations for all of society to accelerate implementation of the SDGs through local action.