VIEWS FROM THE FRONTLINE
We’re working with 10 communities in Tonga to ensure that development is informed by the perspectives of people most at risk.
As part of our global Views from the Frontline programme we have surveyed community members, civil society organisations and government representatives across the country. Here we present our key findings, conclusions, activities and impact.
Random household surveys
Civil society surveys
Local government surveys
Key findings and conclusions at the national level
- The main concerns of communities are school drop-out rates, unemployment levels, teen pregnancies due to rising poverty levels exacerbated by climate change, and the adoption of foreign cultures
- There is variation in perceptions of community participation in resilience building process: duty bearers feel they are including people, whilst communities feel it is tokenistic or exclusive to certain groups of people
- Communities need capacity building support for resilience building as they are lacking information from government officials
Surveys undertaken in Tonga
Our Views from the Frontline surveys in Tonga were undertaken in 2019.
Who was surveyed?
We surveyed 400 random households, 114 civil society organisations and 101 local government representatives.
Risk location prioritised
We prioritised Tonga Tapu.
We surveyed people from 10 communities: Halaano, Pea, Ha’atafu, Hala’ovave, Popua, Manuka, Fanga, Talafo’ou, Ngele’ia, Hoi.
Activities undertaken in response to community-level findings and conclusions
- Repairs of water tank carried out which was destroyed due to storm surge
- Community policing bicycle introduced to make vulnerable groups feel safe to come out of their homes
Impact of activities
- The communities can work now collaboratively with other stakeholders to resolve immediate water issues caused by storm surges
- A localised and unique solution to address the issue of crime in communities has made communities feel safer
- Communities are more involved in the implementation of actions taken to reduce their risk
Our project partners in Tonga
Our Views from the Frontline programme is implemented by GNDR member organisations and partners in the country.
National coordinating organisation
- Tonga Community Development Trust
- Tonga Red Cross
- Civil Society Forum
- Tonga National Youth Congress
- Lagafonua ‘a Fafine Tonga
- Tonga Geological Services
- Lapaha Council
- Girls Guide
- Bridge of Hope Foundation
- Tonga Foundation 4 Humanity
- Talitha Project
View all data from Tonga
You can view all our Views from the Frontline survey data using our data dashboard. You can also learn more about our methodology for selecting at-risk areas and survey respondents.
Project funded by
Our Views from the Frontline project is funded by the European Union (EU). Content related to this project on our website was made possible by the support of the EU. All content is the sole responsibility of GNDR and does not necessarily reflect the views of the EU.View their website